Basingstoke Sports Council

Serving Basingstoke's sporting community for over 25 years.

Refer to a doctor or physio

When to See A Doctor

Most acute injuries can be attended to using R.I.C.E., but some injuries need to be seen and treated by a physician. You should call your doctor if you experience any of the following:

  • severe pain or if pain persists for more than two weeks in a joint or bone.
  • pain radiates to another area of the body
  • you have 'point tenderness.' That is, you can cause pain by pressing on a specific area, but pain is not produced at the same point on the other side of the body.
  • you have any injury to a joint that produces significant swelling. If left untreated, joint injuries can become permanent.
  • you cannot move the injured part.
  • there is persistent numbness, tingling or weakness in the injured area.
  • your injury doesn't heal in three weeks.
  • you have an infection with pus, red streaks, a fever, or swollen lymph nodes.
You are here: Home Sports Injuries Refer to a doctor or physio