Basingstoke Voluntary Sports Council
Basingstoke Voluntary Sports Council are looking to share best practice within the local sporting community and signpost to good sources of information. These pages will therefore develop over the coming months and additional details recommended by leagues and clubs is most welcome.
Energise Me Club Support and Advice
Energise Me (Winchester) are committed to providing high quality information, training and support to local sports clubs to ensure that they can offer the best possible service to their sporting community. Their website has information on Getting Active, Coaching, Volunteering, School & College Sport, Funding & Support plus News, Events & Courses. Basingstoke & Deane Clubs are encouraged to check out the site and register for News Updates plus submit their own success or events as applicable.
Sport England - Club Matters
Club Matters is very useful for sports club development with information relating to Starting a new club, Club Management, Club People, Club Marketing, Club Finances & Clubmark Accreditation. There is also a resource library and Club Improvement Tool.
Management Notes …..
- Make sure you have a Club Development Plan in place
- Consider if your Club Structure is appropriate for your club's needs now and in the future
- Think about whether forming Partnerships could help your club operate more successfully
- Check you have the right Governance processes in place to help you to manage the club effectively
- Ensure you have access to the Facilities you need to run your club
Marketing notes …..
Know what your offer is and effectively communicating it, is the key to successfully marketing and promoting your club.
Promoting your club is about telling people what you can offer them. It's really important to spend time planning your marketing, thinking about who you are targeting, choosing ways you can reach them and how you will measure the effectiveness of your communication.
A Marketing Strategy is a plan of how your club is going to promote itself. It will help you to think about what makes your club different, so you can get the right message out to the right people.
Market Research can help you understand the type of people that are involved in your sport and what's influencing them to take part.
There are many Marketing Options available to your club. It is worth spending time exploring the benefits and limitations of these, to decide on the best ways to reach your target groups.
Club Finances …..
Sports clubs who are successful in the long term are built on sustainable finances. Finances are often a challenge for sports clubs, which is why we offer support in this area. Whatever your situation, to manage your finances effectively as a sports club, you should think about:
- Managing Money – Do you have the right processes and practices in place to help you monitor your club's finances?
- Budgeting – Do you have a short and long term financial plan for your club?
- Managing Costs - Do you know how to manage your costs to keep within this budget?
- Tax and Sports Clubs – Have you thought about any tax implications affecting your sports club?
- Generating Income – Does your sports club's funding comes from a variety of sources?
- Funding Guidance – Do you know what to consider before, during and after applying for funding?
People within your Club …..
From volunteers and staff who help to run a club, to coaches who deliver sessions, to the members and participants who take part, a club’s people are what makes it stand out. Happy people will help a club to thrive and grow.
You should spend some time considering the following areas, and think about what else you can do to help develop and keep your existing Club People, and how you can attract more.
- You need your members and participants to take part in the sporting and social activities at your club. This is where most clubs start, with a group of people coming together with a common interest or passion in a sporting activity.
- You also need your volunteers and coaches, the people who make sport happen. Without this dedicated group of people who willingly give their time to enable others to play the sport they love, grassroots sport wouldn’t exist.